Ph.D. Biochemistry, Weizmann Institute, 1982
Structural Biology, Protein Crystallography.
We are Structural Biologists interested in the relationship between the function and structure of proteins. We use X-ray crystallography to determine the structures of our molecules of interest, and various computational tools to analyze these structures. Some of our projects include:
- Mechanisms of complex human disease
- Structure and function of Myovirus phage CBA120 tailspike proteins
- Giardia Drug Targets – structure, function and inhibitor design.
- The pyruvate phosphate dikinase and Enzyme I molecular machines: Spare parts and swiveling domain mechanism.
- Thakur M, Sharma K, Chao K, Smith AA, Herzberg O, Pal U. 2017. “A protein-protein interaction dictates Borrelial infectivity”. Sci Rep. 7:2932.
- Chao, K. L., L. Kulakova, and O. Herzberg. 2017. “Gene polymorphism linked to increased asthma and IBD risk alters gasdermin-B structure, a sulfatide and phosphoinositide binding protein.”. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 114(7):E1128-E1137.
- Pal, L. R., K. L. Chao, J. Moult, and O. Herzberg. 2017. “Reply to HU et al.: On the interpretation of gasdermin-B expression quantitative trait loci data.”. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 114(38):E7863-E7864.