Figuring out which chemistry courses you should take to fulfill the requirements of your major can be a challenging task. Start by taking a look at the Introductory Chemistry Curriculum. The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry has worked to interact with all of the majors and programs that have chemistry requirements to ensure that sufficient course offerings are available to all students who are required to complete chemistry coursework.

Prerequisites for Biochemistry (BCHM) courses

Here are a few general statements regarding selection of Chemistry courses. It is important that you confirm your choices of chemistry courses with your advisor or Undergraduate Director.

PLEASE NOTE! Chemistry courses and their associated laboratory courses MUST be taken concurrently. If you take a chemistry lecture course, and not it’s laboratory, you WILL NOT be allowed to take a subsequent chemistry course.
  • Most students who require two terms of chemistry will take CHEM 131 and CHEM 231, along with their associated laboratories, CHEM 132 and CHEM 232.
  • Some students, especially those in programs leading to allied health training, and some agriculture majors, will take CHEM 131 and CHEM 132.
  • Students in a pre-professional (dental, medical, veterinary) track will have to take the entire four semester sequence; CHEM 131, CHEM 231, CHEM 241, and 271, along with each of their laboratories.
  • Students currently accepted by and enrolled in the Clark School of Engineering should take CHEM 135 and CHEM 136. NOTE: Chemical engineering students will be required to take chemistry beyond CHEM 135/136.
  • Prospective and former engineering students
Chemistry and Biochemistry are limited enrollment programs whereby you will need to complete certain gateway courses (MATH 141 and organic chemistry I) before transferring into the major. See

The single best source of information concerning chemistry-related advising is your advisor.

If you cannot get your question answered by either your advisor or the FAQ, please email your question to the Department’s Advising Office.

Print Friendly