Getting involved in a research project while an undergraduate is an outstanding way to experience the process and rewards of doing science. For many undergraduates, their undergraduate research work is the single most rewarding experience of their entire undergraduate career. Undergraduate research experience is particularly valuable for any chemistry or biochemistry major, including those students who aspire to careers in scientific research, medicine and other science-based professions.

Students who work on an undergraduate research project may be eligible for departmental honors upon graduation. Arrange a meeting with a faculty member whose research interests you, or with one of your course professors, to discuss their research and possible opportunities in their laboratory. One of the real benefits of attending a major research university like the University of Maryland is the incredible breadth of research taking place on campus, much of which is simply not available at smaller, non-research institutions. The Department prides itself on the large fraction of our majors who undertake a research project, and the faculty are generally very supportive of undergraduate research.

Research Opportunities in Chemistry/Biochemistry

Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program

Approximately 20 HHMI fellows per year. $1,500 stipend per semester, $3,000 for summer, $1,500 allowance for research materials. For more information, see Undergraduate Research Fellowships or contact Dr. Kaci Thompson (


Basic research conducted under supervision of a faculty mentor. Maximum of 3 credits per semester for a total of 6 credits. A CHEM 399 Permission Request form is available in CHM 1206. The student and the faculty member complete the form and then the student returns the form to CHM 1206 before the end of schedule adjustment so that the electronic stamp can be given in order for the student to be able to register. This must be done each semester the student wants to get credit for CHEM 399.

 CHEM (BCHM) 398—Honors projects. 2 credits.

This follows several semesters of CHEM 399 and involves writing and defending an honors thesis. This course is taken during your final semester before graduating.

Maryland Center for Undergraduate Research (MCUR)

Maryland Student Researchers work one-on-one with faculty mentors for 4-6 hours per week. After participating in the program for a semester, students receive a URAP notation on their transcript.

Departmental Research Assistants

Students assist in faculty research programs. Hourly wage. No academic credit.

 Research Opportunities Off-Campus (Internships)

Research internships at federal research centers (NIST, FDA, NIH, USDA, Smithsonian Institution), research hospitals (National Naval Medical Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Children’s National Medical Center), biotechnology firms, and local industry. Internships can be done during an academic semester or over the summer. Some offer a stipend while others are unpaid. May earn academic credit. For more information, contact Dr. Kaci Thompson.

Summer Research Opportunities:



Print Friendly