Getting involved in a research project while an undergraduate is an outstanding way to experience the process and rewards of doing science. For many undergraduates, their undergraduate research work is the single most rewarding experience of their entire undergraduate career. Undergraduate research experience is particularly valuable for any chemistry or biochemistry major, including those students who aspire to careers in scientific research, medicine and other science-based professions.
Students who work on an undergraduate research project may be eligible for departmental honors upon graduation. Arrange a meeting with a faculty member whose research interests you, or with one of your course professors, to discuss their research and possible opportunities in their laboratory. One of the real benefits of attending a major research university like the University of Maryland is the incredible breadth of research taking place on campus, much of which is simply not available at smaller, non-research institutions. The Department prides itself on the large fraction of our majors who undertake a research project, and the faculty are generally very supportive of undergraduate research.
Research Opportunities in Chemistry/Biochemistry
Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI) Undergraduate Research Fellowship Program
Approximately 20 HHMI fellows per year. $1,500 stipend per semester, $3,000 for summer, $1,500 allowance for research materials. For more information, see Undergraduate Research Fellowships or contact Dr. Kaci Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org).
CHEM (BCHM) 399
Basic research conducted under supervision of a faculty mentor. Maximum of 3 credits per semester for a total of 6 credits. A CHEM 399 Permission Request form is available in CHM 1206. The student and the faculty member complete the form and then the student returns the form to CHM 1206 before the end of schedule adjustment so that the electronic stamp can be given in order for the student to be able to register. This must be done each semester the student wants to get credit for CHEM 399.
CHEM (BCHM) 398—Honors projects. 2 credits.
This follows several semesters of CHEM 399 and involves writing and defending an honors thesis. This course is taken during your final semester before graduating.
Maryland Student Researchers work one-on-one with faculty mentors for 4-6 hours per week. After participating in the program for a semester, students receive a URAP notation on their transcript.
Departmental Research Assistants
Students assist in faculty research programs. Hourly wage. No academic credit.
Research Opportunities Off-Campus (Internships)
Research internships at federal research centers (NIST, FDA, NIH, USDA, Smithsonian Institution), research hospitals (National Naval Medical Center, University of Maryland School of Medicine, Children’s National Medical Center), biotechnology firms, and local industry. Internships can be done during an academic semester or over the summer. Some offer a stipend while others are unpaid. May earn academic credit. For more information, contact Dr. Kaci Thompson.
Summer Research Opportunities:
- The Worcester Polytechnic Institute Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry is hosting a Summer Research Experience for Undergraduates Program, “Membrane Biochemistry and Bioinspired Synthesis,” for ten weeks beginning May26. The program provides campus housing, subsidized travel and a $5000 stipend. Applications are due March 1, 2020.
- MIT Materials Research Laboratory and the Materials Research Science & Engineering Center 2020 Summer Research Internship Program
- Army Research Laboratory (ARL) 2020 Summer Student Experience
- UT Southwestern Medical Center in Dallas Texas has five summer undergraduate research programs:
- Gerstner Sloan Kettering
- UT Southwestern Medical Center has several summer research fellowships including biomedical research, study of kidney disease, quantitative and physical sciences
- National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network – Cornell
- SCI Scholars Summer Internship Program
- UT Austin Petroleum and Geosystems Engineering Department
- Department of Pharmacology and Chemical Biology at the University of Pittsburgh
- MIT Amgen Scholars UROP Program
- Goddard Center for Astrobiology
- Boyce Thompson Institute for Plant Research, Bioinformatics or Bioenergy Education at Cornell University
- UC Berkeley Center for Energy Efficient Electronics Science
- SENS Research Foundation Regenerative Medicine Internship
- Amgen Scholars U.S. and Japan Programs
- USC School of Engineering
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Maryland Summer Scholars
- University of Michigan Biomedical and Life Sciences
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST), Gaithersburg, MD
- Mayo Clinic
- UC San Diego School of Medicine
- Scripps Research Institute
- University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- SUNY Upstate Medical University
- Rockefeller University
- University of Waterloo (Canada) Experimental Quantum Information Processing
- Georgia Tech Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
- NYU Materials Research and Engineering Center (MRSEC)
- Summer Research Opportunities Program
- Vanderbilt Institute for Nanoscale Science and Engineering (VINSE)
- The Institute for Shock Physics (ISP) at Washington State University
- Rutgers Computational Biology Summer Program
- University of Maryland Federal Semester Program
- University of Maryland Global Semester Program in Washington, DC
- Chemistry Department at the University of North Texas